From NY Times via Daily Alert:
- On Feb. 5, after more than six months of investigations, the
Bulgarian government announced that it believed Hizbullah was
responsible for the attack last July that killed five Israeli tourists
and a Bulgarian bus driver and injured dozens more in the resort town of
- This report is significant because a European Union member state,
Bulgaria, explicitly pointed a finger at Hizbullah and lifted the veil
on the group’s continued terrorist activities. Europe can no longer
ignore the threat that this group poses to the Continent and to the
- Hizbullah first gained notoriety in 1983 after bombing the U.S.
Embassy in Beirut – an attack that killed 63 people. Shortly thereafter,
Hizbullah bombed the American and French Marine Barracks in Beirut,
killing 241 Americans and 58 French service members.
- European governments must respond swiftly. They must disrupt its
operational networks, stop flows of financial assistance to the group,
crack down on Hizbullah-linked criminal enterprises and condemn the
organization’s leaders for their continued pursuit of terrorism.
- The U.S. applauds those countries that have long recognized
Hizbullah’s nefarious nature. Europe must now act collectively and
respond resolutely to this attack by adding Hizbullah to the EU’s